ThinLinc 4.7.0 Release Notes
Cendio are proud to present ThinLinc 4.7.0, with more than 30 enhancements and fixes. The most prominent changes are:
- ThinLinc has adopted a different approach to the requirement of a LSB compliant system. LSB specific packages, libraries or commands are no longer required. Instead ThinLinc Setup verifies that the specific standard libraries and commands specified by LSB are present on the system. This change was made as a result of Debian and Ubuntu removing LSB specific tools and packages.
- The session startup has gotten an overhaul. Sessions are now started via the user's chosen shell, rather than always bash. This means that any custom startup files the user has will now affect ThinLinc sessions. Forceful termination of the session has also been changed to behave more like modern systems expects it to.
- The Web Access client has gotten a graphical update. The entire browser window can now be used for the session as the control bar can be hidden away.
ThinLinc works on most modern Linux distributions. We recommend that you deploy ThinLinc on one of these tested platforms:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 (x86_64)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 (x86_64)
Please note that ThinLinc is supported on any platform that fulfills our documented requirements. This includes Oracle Linux, Linux Mint, and Debian.
Changes in This Release
In the list below, the bug number is given in parentheses. For more information, visit https://www.cendio.com/bugzilla/.
- OpenSSH has been upgraded to 7.2p2. This disables support for the ciphers blowfish-cbc, cast128-cbc, all arcfour variants and the rijndael-cbc aliases for AES. It also disables MD5-based and truncated HMAC algorithms. (5855)
- GnuTLS has been updated to version 3.5.1. (5852)
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 1.0.2h. (5854)
- Installation no longer relies on LSB specific packages and tools. The required libraries and commands are verified individually, and distribution commands are used for ThinLinc's services. (5828)
- Systems which lack Python 2 or PyGTK will now receive extra guidance when installing the server. (5742)
- Sessions are now started via the shell specified for each user. Previous versions would always start the session via bash. (5099)
- Sessions are now terminated differently. Previous versions would send SIGHUP to the session's process group. The new method sends a SIGTERM to the top session process. This follows the behaviour of modern display managers such as GDM and LightDM and improves compatibility with sessions started via Upstart. (5696)
- The scripts tl-run-xstartup.d and tl-run-xlogout.d were incorrectly set as executable even though they must be sourced for proper execution. User scripts may need to be modified if they relied on this defect. (5976)
- Previous versions accidentally required Python 2.5 features. The requirement has now been properly restored to Python 2.4. (5954)
- Google Chrome or Chromium will no longer cause the session to terminate unexpectedly. (6044)
- Shadowing a session will no longer disable local devices for regular connections. (6074)
- Debian and Ubuntu should no longer present a warning that the client package is of "bad quality". (5232)
ThinLinc Web Access
- The Web Access client now has the same performance improvements as the native client for high latency networks. (5814)
- The interface of the Web Access client has been redesigned and the control bar can now be hidden, allowing more space for the session screen. (5845)
- Safari 10 is now able to connect to the Web Access client. (6004)
Smart Card Support
- Improved compatibility with PKCS#11 modules used for authentication. Modules are now only required to implement CKM_RSA_PKCS. (5201)
ThinLinc has also been enhanced in many other ways. The complete list of corrected issues is:
1863, 3709, 4715, 4891, 5057, 5099, 5201, 5232, 5584, 5653, 5675, 5688, 5696, 5742, 5772, 5814, 5828, 5829, 5830, 5844, 5845, 5852, 5853, 5854, 5855, 5861, 5862, 5927, 5939, 5946, 5954, 5955, 5957, 5958, 5963, 5974, 5976, 6004, 6044, 6049, 6074, 6080