What is ThinLinc
ThinLinc is a Linux Remote Desktop Server largely based on open-source software. This contributes to fast development times and makes the product extremely robust and adaptable. ThinLinc is used to centralize computing resources by converting a regular Linux distribution into a powerful remote desktop server. Aside from centralization our focus areas are security, ease of administration and remote access. ThinLinc has a strong Linux focus, but support integration with Windows servers and mixed environments.
Server System Requirements
ThinLinc supports "all" modern Linux distributions that use rpm or dpkg. We have a formal list of requirements in our documentation. As part of the quality assurance work, ThinLinc is tested on following platforms:
- Red Hat® Enterprise Linux Server
- SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Ubuntu Desktop®
ThinLinc Server Installation on Ubuntu 14.04LTS
ThinLinc's system architecture is adapted to allow existing infrastructure to be used alongside our product. ThinLinc uses the normal system authentication, allowing integration with eDirectory, Active Directory, NIS, etc. Clustering works great and provide both load balancing and high availability clustering at the same time.
High Availability and Load Balancing
The basic principle of High Availability is to have two equal machines, both capable of running VSM server. If one of the machines goes down for some reason, the other machine will take over and serve VSM server requests with no or short interruption of service.
The ThinLinc Master server (vsmserver) takes care of the following tasks:
- Keep track of all sessions, and load balances them across multiple agents in a cluster
- Initial authentication
- Check for sessions
- Select terminal server
- Sends session information back to client
The ThinLinc Agent (vsmagent) is responsible for starting and hosting the processes that make up a ThinLinc session. Beside that the ThinLinc Agent is establishing tunnels for graphical and local devices. Tunnels are multiplexed over a SSH connection per user.
The ThinLinc Client is connecting twice, first to the master and then again to whichever agent the master decides is best.
- Laptops and workstations
Windows MacOS Linux
- Modern web browsers
- A wide range of thin clients and terminals running Linux or Windows OS.
HP DELL IGEL Fujitsu
and many more.
- Linux desktop/application publishing
- Windows desktop/application publishing
- Mixed environment (Linux, Windows and Unix applications on one desktop)
- ThinLinc Profiles (choose between different desktops and programs)
- Hot-desking support -users can move between different client computer without losing the session
- Load balance/High Availability
- Sound support
- Serial Port Support
- Voice/Microphone support
- ThinLinc Web Admin - Web GUI to simplify the administration
- ThinLinc Web Access - HTML5 client
- Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1) clipboard support
- Printing integration
- Local Printer support
- Location based printers
- Network-based printers
- Printer Access Control (restrict access to certain print queues)
- Printing from Windows Remote Desktop Services
- File sharing integration
- Support for Local Drives -use a local HDD, USB stick on the client
- Multi-monitor support and dynamic resize of your session
- Built-in end-to-end encryption using existing SSH infrastructure
- No need for separate VPN
- Protection against "Man-In-The-Middle" attacks
- Single Sign-On
- Support for multiple authentication mechanisms:
- PAM (password, OTP, RADIUS, etc.)
- Public key authentication
- Smart card support - PKCS#11, PC/SC
- Out-of-box support for PKCS#15 cards
- ThinLinc has a wide range of features designed to fit most scenarios, including optimizations to the protocol which give a local desktop experience.
- Tested and works well with VirtualGL for server side acceleration of OpenGL
- Scales well to support many users over many users
ThinLinc offers an easy/automated installation and configuration. The tl-installer is smart enough to figure out for itself which platform/architecture you are running on. The tl-setup script prepares your system for use with ThinLinc and allows you to configure it as desired. ThinLinc installation can be completely automated.
Upgrading an old installation of ThinLinc is easy and simple and is pretty much like installing it from scratch.
ThinLinc is licensed per concurrent user, not per named user or device. The right to use is perpetual and does not terminate with the subscription agreement. However the access to updates and support requires a valid subscription.
Why choose ThinLinc
- Flexible solution adapted to your infrastructure
- Easy installation, administration and maintenance
- Performance which gives a local desktop experience
- Secure and robust product
- Enables user to easily move between user devices
- Centralized solution, data remains safe in server hall
- Remote access - Freedom and flexibility on your terms
- Professional technical support
And many more.
All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only.