Bugzilla – Bug 5423
performance issue with our libjpeg
Last modified: 2015-05-06 14:32:14
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Whilst investigating bug 5242 I discovered that there is a performance issue
with our libjpeg compared to Fedora 21's.
Decoding the file googleearth-rgb-24.rfb takes 1.45 seconds with a static
build, and 1.04 with a dynamic build (i.e. using Fedora's libraries). gprof on
the static build shows that almost all the time is spent inside libjpeg, so I
doubt it's one of the other libraries that affects things.
Apparently we weren't building libjpeg with -O2 which is the cause of the
performance difference. Should be easy enough to fix.
I'll be upgrading to 1.4.0 at the same time though as I already tested that to
see if it was the version difference that caused problems.
Fixed by doing bug 4929. Upgrade in r29941 (by accident).
I have tried to record a rfb stream using rfbproxy etc. but I have no idea how
to continue doing a test as described.
Can the someone write down steps to produce a rfb file and how to
decode/playback and measure the performance.
Testing during normal usage is sufficient. We don't ship the raw test tools.
Verified that building of libjpeg package is using -O2 flag and that the
upgrade to 1.4.0 didn't introduced any artifacts or other problems.
I just averaged cpu usage from top with following result:
fc21 - 14.6%
tl build 4746 - 14.6%
tl 4.3.0 - 18.0%
Which indicates a performance increase. Closing.