Bugzilla – Bug 7163
Old ThinLinc services are running after package upgrade
Last modified: 2018-05-02 14:14:13
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
After upgrading ThinLinc's server packages, the services are not stopped. That
means that the services are running old (not-upgraded) code while all ThinLinc
files on disk have been upgraded.
This is not a scenario that we have much control over and not something we test
internally. It is difficult to support.
For an example of an issue due to this see comment 14 on bug 7161.
From comment 14 on bug 7161:
> It's imperative that you restart the vsmagent service as quickly as
> possible after installing upgraded packages.
> If you do not do this in a timely fashion, previously scheduled
> session verification tasks will run old code in vsmagent that will
> effectively make any running sessions unreachable if a user
> Take into account that the administrator _must_ run tl-setup, deal
> with the configuration changes that happened during the 4.9.0 cycle,
> wait for the SELinux module, CUPS, printers, etc. This can easily
> take a minute for an experienced ThinLinc Developer, so it's easy to
> imagine scenarios where this takes 2-5 minutes or more for Joe
> Schmoe, system administrator.
> As for me, I went for lunch during tl-setup and came back to an
> upgraded system that had lost sessions.
We have decided to do fix this now for ThinLinc 4.9.0. We will stop the
ThinLinc services after the package upgrade.
We will also clarify the implications of this in the TAG:
* New sessions can not be created until tl-setup has been completed.
* Users can continue working on running sessions but will not benefit from
bugfixes or new features from the new release.
* Users can not reconnect to existing disconnected sessions until tl-setup has
* Due to the above remarks we recommend a service-window for ThinLinc server
Note bug 7112 and bug 7113.
Upgrading to new packages will now automatically stop the services. I built
both the .rpm and .deb on my workstation and verified this:
* thinlinc-vsm upgrade on fedora => both vsmserver and vsmagent stopped
* thinlinc-vsm upgrade on ubuntu => both vsmserver and vsmagent stopped
* thinlinc-webaccess upgrade on fedora => tlwebaccess stopped
* thinlinc-webaccess upgrade on ubuntu => tlwebaccess stopped
* thinlinc-tladm upgrade on fedora => tlwebadm stopped
* thinlinc-tladm upgrade on ubuntu => tlwebadm stopped
Documentation and release note updated now as well. Tester should verify that
ThinLinc services are stopped during package upgrades on both .deb and .rpm
systems. That the issue described in comment 1 is fixed should also be
We're doing a different workaround for bug 7161 so we'll delay addressing the
problem described here.