Cheetah is getting old and is not built for Python 3, so we should look into alternative solutions.
* Official cheetah web page (https://cheetahtemplate.org/) now points to Cheetah3 instead of Cheetah. This make it seem like Cheetah3 is the new official version.
* In an issue discussing compatibility between Cheetah and Cheetah3, the aim of Cheetah3 is to make Cheetah templates Python 3 compatible.
* We did a drop in replacement on an installed ThinLinc server replacing our old Cheetah with Cheetah3. Everything seems to work.
Note bug 4245, we should probably fix the Cheetah part of that while doing this bug.
(In reply to Samuel Mannehed from comment #2)
> Note bug 4245, we should probably fix the Cheetah part of that while doing
> this bug.
After some investigation we will not do this until the entire Python 3 conversion. See bug 4245
* Cheetah3 works for both Python 2 and 3
* We have done tests on running Web Administration and Web Access with the new Cheetah3 and Python 2
* Everything seems to work fine so the new Cheetah3 is used instead of the old from now on.
Functionality seems to be working fine. I tested various dynamic things in webaccess (error messages, logins) and many different pages of tlwebadm that are using lots of macros. Could not spot any issues.
Commit also looks fine, except for the fact that the license for Cheetah has been updated a bit.
The open source licenses in docs have now been updated with the new Cheetah license.
Looks good now. Verified that the new license is included in the server bundle.