ThinLinc 4.9.0 Release Notes
Cendio are proud to present ThinLinc 4.9.0, with more than 80 enhancements and fixes. The most prominent changes are:
- The Windows client is now available in a 64-bit version, allowing better performance on modern systems.
- Shadowing notification is now more reliable and interactive, allowing end users more control of their sessions.
- Windows 2016 is now supported both as a client platform and as a server for ThinLinc's Windows integration. Many improvements have also been made to the Windows integration.
ThinLinc works on most modern Linux distributions. We recommend that you deploy ThinLinc on one of these tested platforms:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 (x86_64)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 (x86_64)
Please note that ThinLinc is supported on any platform that fulfills our documented requirements. This includes Oracle Linux, Linux Mint, and Debian.
Changes in This Release
In the list below, the bug number is given in parentheses. For more information, visit https://www.cendio.com/bugzilla/.
A workaround has been added for a bug in the reference SELinux profile when used together with Firefox 52 ESR. The bug would cause crashes in Firefox and error messages in the system log files. (6976, 6993)
A user session could crash under some circumstances when used with KDE. This issue has been fixed. (7010)
GNOME Flashback now starts up correctly on Ubuntu 16.04. (7011)
New shadowing mechanism that brings the possibility to configure different shadowing modes. (37)
You can now choose one of the following shadowing modes:
- Reject all shadowing requests
- Shadowing of a user without notification
- Shadowing of a user with notification
- Shadowing where the user are in control of accepting / rejecting a shadowing request
The default behaviour of shadowing for an installation has changed from silent shadowing of a user (no notification), to were the user is interactively asked to accept or reject the shadowing request.
Upgrading a ThinLinc system with disconnected sessions could take an unreasonable amount of time if SELinux was enabled. This issue has been fixed. (7075)
ThinLinc Web Integration no longer supports trying to detect and install the native ThinLinc client. This feature required Java Applet support, so in practice very few systems supported it. (4521)
It is now possible to install ThinLinc on a system where /usr/local is not writable. (5941)
SELinux warnings will no longer be produced when creating new ThinLinc sessions on Fedora 27. (7150)
Added a workaround for a bug on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 that would prevent reconnections to sessions created before a Thinlinc Server upgrade. (7161)
If it takes a long time to scan the system fonts, then a progress dialog will be shown to the user until the scan has completed. This generally happens on the first login. (7159)
- libtasn1 has been upgraded to version 4.12. (6212)
- GnuTLS has been updated to version 3.5.12. (6211)
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 1.0.2l. (6214)
- OpenSSH has been updated to version 7.5p1. The ThinLinc Client no longer supports the 3des-cbc block cipher. (6213)
- Freetype has been upgraded to version 2.8.0. This upgrade is a big jump and includes many bugfixes and a few non critical vulnerabilities. (5160)
- Windows clients are now available both for native 64-bit and 32-bit environments. The single universal installer will automatically detect which binaries to install. (3231)
- Windows 2016 is now a supported platform for the ThinLinc client. (7054)
- The ThinLinc Client on Windows will now connect significantly faster. (7082)
- Fixed a bug where the client would not start if a line in a configuration file exceeded 1020 characters. (5834)
- The ThinLinc Client on macOS will no longer have its user interface presented in high resolution on high DPI/Retina screens. This improvement was added in ThinLinc 4.8.0 but many systems experienced significant performance issues as a result of this. The interface is now restored to the older, low resolution mode. (7047)
- The ThinLinc Client on Windows will no longer stop responding when connecting and the user has a large number of sessions running. (7089)
- Identical SSH banners will no longer display twice during connection. (4533)
- If it takes a long time to scan the system fonts, then a progress dialog will be shown to the user until the scan has completed. This generally happens on the first use of the ThinLinc client. (7159)
ThinLinc Web Access
- The PDF converter in the ThinLinc client has been upgraded in order to fix a security issue where a malicious server could possibly take control of the client. (7030)
- The default permissions of the configuration file for ThinLinc Web Administration allowed users to view a hash of the configured password to access tlwebadm. This file is now readable by root only. (7043)
- Windows Server 2016 is now supported for use as a RDP server. (6096)
- Windows session can now be resized interactively and dynamically, both when connecting to a full desktop and when connecting to a single applications. (7094)
- Colored cursors are now supported when connecting to a Windows desktop or application. (5020)
- Improved image quality where Remote Desktop Servers does not support 24-bit color. If supported, 32-bit color will be used instead of falling back to 16-bit color. (5753)
- Fixed a bug for Windows connections where resizing the session window caused the background to disappear and parts of the session to appear black. (5290)
- Fixed a bug where dead keys was not working as expected when using en-us-intl keymap and connecting to a Windows desktop or application. (7024)
- Fixed a bug where the mouse cursor would disappear sometimes when connecting to a Windows desktop or application. (6173)
- Fixed a bug where an automatic reconnect to the Windows server could result in the user being asked for credentials. (7094)
- Fixed a bug where a "incorrect pin" message would sometimes be displayed when using Smart Card Authentication and connecting to a Windows desktop or application. (7144)
- The default value for /vsmagent/display_min was changed from 1 to 10 due to collisions with local console display. (5643)
- The default value for /utils/tl-mount-localdrives/mount_args no longer includes -n nor fg as they are no longer needed. (7087)
A complete configuration reference can be found in the ThinLinc Administrators Guide.
ThinLinc has also been enhanced in many other ways. The complete list of corrected issues is:
37, 2822, 3231, 4306, 4478, 4521, 4533, 4914, 5020, 5068, 5089, 5160, 5244, 5247, 5290, 5643, 5737, 5744, 5753, 5810, 5834, 5886, 5887, 5941, 6096, 6161, 6173, 6188, 6195, 6211, 6212, 6213, 6214, 6223, 6224, 6347, 6963, 6968, 6971, 6976, 6983, 6986, 6990, 6992, 6993, 6994, 6995, 7010, 7011, 7016, 7024, 7025, 7027, 7030, 7032, 7033, 7035, 7043, 7045, 7047, 7050, 7052, 7053, 7054, 7056, 7057, 7060, 7068, 7070, 7074, 7075, 7081, 7082, 7085, 7089, 7094, 7095, 7096, 7130, 7138, 7144, 7150, 7159, 7161